Monday, December 17, 2007

Where's the patients?

Now I'm not complaining but it can get a little boring around here without patients to work with. Yes I'm talking about having no patients through the night and this is my 4Th shift in a row where it's been like this. Actually we have only 7 total patients that require our RT expertise, which is 5 more than there was 3 days ago.

It is damn cold here lately with a lot of snow and ice around so maybe the cold is killing all the Bactria's off so nothing to get anyone sick. That's not true the Flu is running through my house. My 9 year old had a Asthma flareup with vomiting from the Flu which then went to my 9 month old who has been vomiting for 4 days now, but better today. Now did anyone know that doc's don't give medication to babies anymore to help stop the vomiting? I didn't!!! Nor did my wife the ER nurse, but the pediatrician said there was a study of some sort and they don't recommend anti-vomiting meds anymore for babies, so we just had to keep washing his sheets and 6 changes of clothes a day. Anyways this also got passed onto my 3 year old, yep more vomiting and laundry washing along with diarrhea also....what fun. Now he was able to get Zofran (spelling) to help but not his brother, but with a ER nurse mom what do you think she did? Yep cut it in half to help the little one and it worked...well he had to eat something and keep it down he was losing weight plus he made me late one night. Just as I was getting ready to leave I was holding my son and of course...BLAAAHhhhhh...all over my scrubs. So of course I have to iron a new pair but what are you gonna do.

Is anyone else's census down? I'm curious how long this will continue because winter is usually the busy season. As of now I'm catching up with some DVDs I've been meaning to watch, cleaning the department a bit and just wandering around to stay awake.

Take care and Happy Holiday all.

4 comments:

Rick Frea said...

You better enjoy it while it lasts, because sooner or later...

Anonymous said...

We've been mad busy at Sunny Flats. It's all the snowbirds from the cooler climes up North.

Rick Frea said...

Well, is it still slow there? It sure is here at Shoreline.

Unknown said...

Nope still not busy, we only have 4 patients with nebs now and only 1 during the noc. But I will blog tonight about my night last night. It was interesting.