Drawing on my personal experience and reading about other RT's idea's and experience here are some ways to help keep the patients saturation at appropriate levels or at least close appropriate.
- Place a nasal cannula under the aerosol mask or run with a standard HHN.
- Place 6 inch large bore tubing in the holes in the aerosol mask, looks like elephant tusks.
- Tee in the nebulizer into a non-rebreather mask. This gives the highest fio2 in my opinion.
- With a regular HHN instead of using a 6 inch reservoir tube on the end, increase the length of the reservoir tube to 3 lengths of 6 inch tubing or whatever you think will work, this will decrease the amount of room air that patient with entrain.
- You could always just put the HHN under the Non Rebreather mask but this can also cause comfort issues for the patient in my opinion.
- If they just need a little extra fio2 you can always use a HHN with nose clips, this way it decreases the amount of inspired Room Air through the nose.
- Place the HHN in the side port of the aerosol mask and run oxygen from the normal port of the aerosol mask.
If anyone has any other ideas of ways to complete this task feel free to post a comment or criticism on the ideas I have posted here. Thanks for reading and responding.