Saturday, May 24, 2008

Miracle, sure it is, but something is missing.

I ran across this new article here from Newsnet 5 talking about a woman who was clinically dead but miraculously came back to life and all was well.

Here is the article, for you RT's out there you might find something out of the ordinary, or which I have given a hint by making the area's bold. This will also all into line a bit with my previous article about respiratory mishaps in movies and TV shows.

Woman Wakes Up After Family Says Goodbye, Tubes Pulled

A West Virginia woman was being transferred to the Cleveland Clinic after walking the line between life and death. Doctors are calling Val Thomas a medical miracle. They said they can't explain how she is alive. They said Thomas suffered two heart attacks and had no brain waves for more than 17 hours. At about 1:30 a.m. Saturday, her heart stopped and she had no pulse. A respiratory machine kept her breathing and rigor mortis had set in, doctors said. "Her skin had already started to harden and her fingers curled. Death had set in," said son Jim Thomas. They rushed her to a West Virginia hospital. Doctors put Thomas on a special machine which induces hypothermia. The treatment involves lowering the body temperature for up to 24 hours before warming a patient up.After that procedure, her heart stopped again.

"She had no neurological function," said Dr. Kevin Eggleston. Her family said goodbye and doctors removed all the tubes.

However, Thomas was kept on a ventilator a little while longer as an organ donor issue was discussed.

Ten minutes later the woman woke up and started talking.
"She (nurse) said, 'I'm so sorry Mrs. Thomas.'
And mom said, 'That's OK honey. That's OK," Jim Thomas said.
Val Thomas and her family strongly believe that the Lord granted them their miracle and they want everyone to know."I know God has something in store for me, another purpose. I don't know what it is but I'm sure he'll tell me," she said. She was taken to the Cleveland Clinic for specialist to check her out. Doctors said amazingly she has no blockage and will be fine.

I just find this funny as we all know what you cannot talk while on a ventilator especially with a endotracheal tube in. I'm sure she wasn't trached with a Passey Muir valve on or a capped trach with fenestration since this seemed to only happen in about 24 hours. As bad off as she was I'm thinking a trach was the last thing they were thinking about. I just found that interesting how the media can get things wrong.

So what to do, well I'm going to drop a email off to this news channel just to see if I get a response. I'm thinking this was maybe make to be a little over dramatic as most of the public has not clue with some of this medical stuff. But us RT's will catch the little respiratory inconsistencies that people will make when it comes to our profession right.

If I get a response, it will be posted here for all to see at a later time, but I'm not really expecting anything to much, you never know though.

Drive on RT's.

No comments: